19.9 C
Sierra Leone
Wednesday, December 8, 2021
spot_img

Unreliable school feeding programme…

Director Meheux keeps defending failure

May 30, 2017 By Elizabeth A. Kaine

director
Director Silvester Mehuex, when would you start feeding the hungry pupils, as schools would soon be closed?

National Director of the much talked about school feeding programme, Silvester Mehuex, has kept the hopes of pupils alive weeks after  schools re-opened for the third term session, without the implementation of the scheme.

Mr. Mehuex has continually re-assured the public for a restart of the feeding programme, although it has not been actualized, citing difficulties in the implementation process.

Silvester Mehuex had earlier told Concord Times in a telephone interview that, the ‘delay’ was largely due to the fact that they  were busy rectifying some documentation with regards bank accounts of various schools, which, he said were faulty.

 “We have presented all bank accounts to the Ministry of Finance and the school feeding programme would start come next week,” Mr.Meheux had told Concord Times on May 19, 2017.

Concord Times again contacted him after observing that the programme has not been materialized as he had promised, but he keeps on saying the same, pegging the delay on the same excuse.

Last week, local newspapers reported that the government would pay Le11 billion to approximately 2000 schools to rejuvenate the programme, but as we went to press, Mr. Meheux said they were getting difficulties with the correct bank account of the schools.

Mr. Meheaux said the programme has been successful since more children have now been enrolled in schools, but Concord Times survey showed many pupils have backed out from school since the scheme stopped indefinitely.

 “Some pupils have stopped coming to school especially on the days allotted for the feeding programme. We are urging government to resume the programmed as the children have been accustomed to it,” said Madam Alice Coker, Head teacher of Buxton Girl’s Primary School.

The school feeding programme was one of several sub programmes under the President’s Recovery Priorities (PRP), which sought to provide local meal for about 1.2 million government assisted primary school children twice a week-Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, the scheme has not been materialized since school re-opened almost a month.

Related Articles

Latest Articles