Tengbeh murder trial…


Witness implicates elder sister in brother’s death

 November 7, 2017 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

Detective Sergeant Albert Humper, second prosecution witness in the ongoing murder trial involving three accused persons, has testified that they discovered five empty rice sacks in a freezer with stains suspected to be blood at the residence of the first accused, Demoh Bangura, elder sister to the deceased.

The trio – Demoh Bangura, Sholay Val-Renner and David Sesay – are currently standing trial in the Freetown High Court presided over by Justice John Bosco Alieu on two counts of conspiracy and murder contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

State Counsel Joan Mayota Sandeke Bull alleges that the accused persons on Monday, 14 April, 2016 at No.7 Upper Tengbeh Town, conspired with persons unknown to commit a felony by murdering one Patrick Bangura.

According to the witness, on 12 April, 2016 he obtained a voluntary caution statement from the 1st accused and on 16 April, together with the Scene-of-Crime Officer and government pathologist Dr. Simeon Owizz Koroma, visited the scene and saw the corpse of the deceased, which was identified to them as Patrick Bangura.

He further told the court that a post-mortem examination was performed on the remains of the deceased by Dr. Koroma, who prepared a death certificate and cause of death.

“On the 20th of April 2016, together with other police officers, we conducted a search at the residence of the first accused and during the course of the search we discovered five empty rice sacks in a freezer with stain suspected to be blood and also discovered a mayonnaise rubber with white substance suspected to be chlorine,” he testified.

He added that the items were later handed over to the Exhibit Clerk and on 30th April obtained statement from the 1st accused.

He revealed that on 2nd May, spouse of the 3rd accused David Sesay came to the police station with a power of attorney document prepared by the first and third accused persons and signed by the first accused, on the pretext that it was signed by their father.

The witness said that when he questioned the first accused about the document the latter admitted to have falsified by her and the third accused.

The matter was adjourned to 13 November.