19.7 C
Sierra Leone
Saturday, January 29, 2022

Sexual penetration accused allegedly commits suicide

October 3, 2016 By Alusine Sesay

One Samuel Bangura, who was standing trial before Justice Musu Kamara in the Freetown High Court for sexual penetration, last Friday (30 September) allegedly, committed suicide by hanging at his Upper George Brook address, Dworzack, west of Freetown.

But the Police are yet to establish the cause of death as Crime Officer of the New England Ville Police Station, Inspector Martin Koleya told Concord Times on Saturday that “We are yet to establish the cause of death until after postmortem examination. The complication is that we never met him hanging but lying on the floor with a belt-like rope hanging over his remains. We cannot confirm as to whether he committed suicide but we have not made any arrest because we have not got any evidence to warrant arrest.”

He continued that “We are gathering information from the occupants of the house by way of obtaining statement.”

Bangura was said to have spent about twenty-one months in remand at the Pademba Road Correctional Centre before he was granted bail by Justice Musu Kamara after his sexual penetration matter was committed to the High Court for trial.

Family sources disclosed to Concord Times that he was due to appear in court on Saturday, 1st October, 2016 but took his own life on Friday, 30th September.

Although there was no clear explanation as to why the deceased decided to take his own life, family members who spoke to Concord Times confirmed that the late Samuel Bangura hung himself and that some neighbours tried to rescue him but were not successful.

“I was at home when they alerted me that Samuel has hung himself. I rushed to the scene and I met him lying on the floor surrounded by some neighbours. I shouted and asked him as to why he should do such to himself,” said Adama Bangura in tears.

“He looked at me once and finally gave up the ghost.”

According to her, the late man was charged to court after he was named by an underage girl as the one who deflowered her.

“There was a time when parents in the community decided to confirm as to whether their daughters had been deflowered. Fifteen of them were checked by a Sowie who confirmed that all of them had been deflowered. Unfortunately, Samuel was named by one of the girls as the person who deflowered her,” she narrated.

“The girl’s parent reported the matter to the New England Ville Police, while the matter was charged to court. He spent one year nine months at the Pademba Road prison and was granted bail in December.”

Aruna Bangura, a cousin to the deceased, told Concord Times they had agreed on an out of court settlement and that the parents of the alleged sexual penetration victim requested Le600,000 as refunds of their legal expenses.

“We gave them Le150,000 but the father of the victim approached me last week and asked me for the remainder. He told me that we would have ourselves to blame should the court take any action against the deceased,” said Bangura.

“I came home and discussed the issue with the deceased, who informed me that he was saving some money with an individual. He was to appear in court on Saturday, October 1st.”

However, Concord Times could not reach the parents of the sexual penetration victim after all effort proved futile.

Meanwhile, a neighbourhood youth who attempted to rescue the deceased told Concord Times that “I was about to leave home to launder my wares at a nearby stream when someone shouted that Samuel has hung himself. I thought it was a joke until I heard another cry from some of kids that were present at the scene. I rushed [to the scene] and together with other youth tried to save him but to no avail. While we were trying to rescue him, somebody passed me a knife which I used to cut the rope.

The remains of the deceased were taken to the Connaught Hospital Mortuary for postmortem.

Related Articles

Latest Articles