RSO testifies in $850 U.S Ambassador’s phone matter


January 29, 2018 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

Regional Security Officer (RSO) at the United States Embassy in Sierra Leone, Sean A. Nead, on Friday (26th January, 2018) testified before Magistrate Albert J. Moody, presiding at court No.1- in the ongoing preliminary investigation of two accused who were alleged to have stolen mobile phone belonging to the US Ambassador to Sierra Leone, Maria Brewer.

It could be recalled that last week, two accused persons- Adekalie Kargbo and Santigie Sankoh appeared in the lower court to answer to two count charges of Larceny and receiving stolen goods, contrary to the Larceny Act of 1916.

The prosecution is alleging that the first accused, Adekalie Kargbo, on Thursday 7th December, 2017 -at the Parliament Building, Tower Hill in Freetown-stole one iPhone valued eight hundred and fifty United States Dollars ($850) -equivalent to six million three hundred and seventy thousand Leones -property of Maria Brewer-US Ambassador to Sierra Leone.

The prosecution further alleges that the second accused- Santigie Sankoh, at Lightfoot Boston Street in Freetown -did receive stolen goods to wit one iPhone 6s -property of the American Ambassador to Sierra Leone.

In his testimony, first prosecution witness introduced himself as the Regional Security Officer attached at the American Embassy in Sierra Leone.

He noted that he serves as Principal Security Adviser to the Ambassador and that he also handles all security matters pertaining to the Embassy in Sierra Leone.

He recalled on Thursday 7th December, 2017, when his Ambassador attended the final address of President Ernest Bai Koroma at the Sierra Leone House of Parliament.

He said while the Ambassador was in attendance at the programme, she called and gave him certain information about her missing phone.

He said upon receiving the call, he immediately contacted the Africell Mobile Company and informed them about the missing phone and sim card of the Ambassador.

He further that when the Ambassador returned from parliament on the same day, she called him into her office and explained more to him about her missing phone.

He told the court that he contacted the Mountain Police Division who then transferred the matter to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for further investigation.

He further told that he later provided CID with the International Mobile Equipment Identity number (IMEI number) of the phone, adding that in about two weeks’ time, he received a phone call from the Deputy Director of the Criminal Investigation Department informing him that they have located the stolen phone.

He said on a particular Monday and on a date he couldn’t recall, the Deputy Director of CID went to the Embassy, together with the suspect and the phone and he further that the suspected that was taken to the embassy was not among the ones in the court.

Matter to continue