November 11, 2016 By Emmanuel Okyne (Intern)
Residents in the northern provincial headquarters of Makeni are currently grappling with acute power outage for the past two weeks, with no word from the Electricity Distribution and Supply Authority (EDSA) as to why.
Mariama Conteh of Kargbo Street in Makeni told Concord Times that it was only rumoured that electricity supply would be rationed on alternative basis, prior to the power outage.
“We were happy with the previous constant supply of electricity but things have changed drastically. I can no longer do business as before due to the inadequate supply of electricity. I used to sell ice to raise income and provide lunch for my children who are going to school, but I am now finding it difficult,” she lamented.
Molai Kargbo, who owns a mobile phone charging centre, told Concord Times that the frequent power outage in the township has put him out of business, as he could not afford to purchase a generator.
He charged that EDSA was allegedly shortchanging them as many residents have recharged their prepaid metres, but could not access electricity.
Also, Njai Conteh, who runs a bar in the township, told Concord Times that he had been unable to chill his drinks as a result of incessant power outage in the township.
‘’I purchase ten litres of fuel on a daily basis just to chill my drinks for customers,” he said.
However, Assistant Public Relations Officer at EDSA, Andrew Lahai, told Concord Times that the Bumbuna Hydro Dam had been shot down for maintenance after it developed a mechanical glitch.
He said the Ministry of Energy and EDSA have dispatched two generators to the city, which is the birthplace of the president, in a bid to salvage the acute power shortage in the township.