OSD admitted killing soldier


- Investigator tells court

May 27, 2015 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

Detective Police Constable 1513 Mohamed Dauda Kabba yesterday told the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No.1 presided over by Magistrate Komba Kamanda that accused Mohamed Kanu had admitted to have killed one Sergeant Salifu Turay of the Republic of the Sierra Leone Armed Forces.

The accused was arraigned on one count of murder contrary to law.

State prosecutor Juan M. Bull alleged that the accused on 18 March, 2015 murdered his victim along Bathurst-Gloucester in the Mountain Rural District, just outside Freetown.

Detective Kabba said the accused is a member of the Operational Support Division (OSD) of the Sierra Leone Police, and that on 4 March this year, a murder file and an accused were brought to the Criminal Investigation Department and assigned to him for investigation. He said a gun and magazine containing 20 rounds of live ammunition and an empty shell of cartridge and other items were transferred from Hill Top police station to the CID headquarters, as part of exhibits to aid the alleged murder investigation.

He said on 26 March, he witnessed an autopsy performed by government pathologist, Dr. Simon Owizz Koroma on the remains of the deceased, and that during the process the pathologist discovered a missile in the skull of the victim.

He said during the cause of investigation they visited the crime scene and had cause to interrogate people that were at the scene.

“My Lord on the 28 March, 2015, a team of police officers including me, together with the accused, visited the crime scene and when we reached there, the accused showed us where he said he instructed the deceased to stop the motorbike they were onboard,” explained the detective.

He said the accused told detectives that when the deceased stopped the motorbike he came down and took few steps behind him and took out a gun and shot him in the eye, and then dragged his body to a nearby bush. He said the accused left his right footwear at the crime scene as he was in a hurry to flee.

One John Kamara, a commercial bike rider, also testified in the same murder matter, and said he knows the accused as owner of the bike he was riding.

He said he recalled sometime in March, 2015 when the accused gave him a bike for commercial purpose and that the latter took the bike from him subsequently and did not return it earlier for him to start work.

He said when the accused returned the motorbike he saw some strange particles suspected to be blood on it, and that he was later arrested and asked to make a statement to the police.

Magistrate Kamanda remanded the accused and adjourned the matter to 2 May.