- says NERC boss
July 9, 2015 By Victoria Saffa
Chief Executive Officer of the National Ebola Response Centre (NERC) yesterday stated that as a result of the successes recorded so far with regards the drop in the number of confirmed Ebola cases, the ‘Operation Northern Push’ will continue until the country gets to zero infection.
Rtd. Major Alfred Palo Conteh told a presser at the newly constructed NERC conference room at Cockerill in Freetown that the third week of the operation has ended but that the exercise would continue until the Northern Region starts recording zero.
“The curfew time will remain the same and there will be regular reviews so that we can adapt the response to meet the requirements as we change,” said Mr. Conteh. “We will ensure that each district gets the resources and guidance they needed on the road to zero.”
He added that the quarantine events were being managed well even though there were some “minor logistics problems”.
The NERC boss stated that food, medicine and other medical supplies were being delivered on time and that the security forces were properly equipped and well fed to carry out their duties.
“The communities have started to understand that they play an important part in monitoring and supporting the quarantines, but they can still do more,” he said. “As a result, we have had no runaways and we have managed to keep all new contacts in their quarantined homes.”
Conteh opined that during his travel to Magazine Wharf as well as to some chiefdoms in the Port Loko and Kambia districts respectively, it became quite clear to him that the fight will be won.