One dead as violence rocks Calaba Town


September 7, 2015 By Ibrahim Tarawallie

Calaba Town in the east of the capital Freetown experienced violence scenes last Thursday afternoon following the death of a youth, who residents in the community could only identify as Foday, and during a police raid led by Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Freetown-East, Memunatu Jalloh.
An eyewitness, Amadu Kamara, told Concord Times that the police acted upon a tip-off following several reports of rape in a particular area in the community.
He said during the police raid, youths ran helter-skelter for fear of arrest. “When the youths saw a police van coming they started running. It was during this time that three of the fleeing youths accidentally fell into a well and one of them died on the spot. The whereabouts of the other two is yet to be known,” Kamara explained.
After the fatal accident, Kamara said youths mobilised and took the corpse to the police station, barricaded the Calaba Town highway and attacked the police station, destroying windows and other property.
buy flagyl online no prescription

According to him, “When the father and other relatives of the deceased went to the police station to get clarification on the cause of their son’s demise, they were driven out of the station.”
The incident caused panic, forcing shops and other businesses around the vicinity to close down as the irate youths were pelting stones on the police station and nearby houses, the eyewitness said.
The police later called for reinforcement which arrived and helped their colleagues disperse the assailants and restore normalcy to the community.
However, in the morning hours of Friday (4 September), police officers started arresting some youths who were passing by the station without any explanation. That forced pedestrians to divert their course.
When contacted for her reaction, AIG Memunatu Jalloh refused to comment, saying: “I cannot say anything to you. You can talk to the Police Media Unit.”
But head of Police Media Unit, Assistant Superintendent Ibrahim Samura, could not be reached for comment as we went to press.