20.4 C
Sierra Leone
Thursday, May 26, 2022

Office Assistant testifies in Mercury office breaking case

January 19, 2016 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

First prosecution witness in an office breaking and larceny case involving one John Michael Turay at the Mercury International office on Kroo Town Road in Freetown on Friday, 15 January testified in court.

Turay is before the court on three counts of office breaking and larceny, malicious damage and unlawful possession, contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

According to the prosecution, the accused broke into the cash office of Mercury International on Kroo Town Road on 29 December, 2015 with intent to commit a felony.

Testifying before Magistrate Mohamed Seray-Wurie at the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No.6, Alpha Barrie said he is an Office Assistant at Mercury International’s Kroo Town Road office, and that among his duties are to close and open the main doors to the office, adding that he recognised the accused as his colleague and knew the complainant.

He recalled that on 29 December, 2015, he reported for work in the morning and was confronted by three Operational Support Division (OSD) officers and three private security guards who informed him that all was not okay in the office.

He said he then attempted to open the main door to the office and noticed that the door had been broken, adding that he immediately alerted the security officers that somebody had broke into the office.

He said the second, third and fourth doors were also damaged, while an attempt to break into the steel door leading to the safe was unsuccessful, adding that he subsequently alerted the Deputy Chief Finance Officer who came to the scene.

He said the Deputy Chief Finance Officer then called a certain Joe and the Operations Manager, and that together they entered the office and discovered that none other than the doors were broken into.

“We continued to inspect the building and as we went to the third floor the accused came from the toilet and when he was asked as to how he got into office he replied that his stomach was aching, which was why he went up to the toilet to relieve himself,” the witness told the court.

He further testified that when they asked the security officers downstairs they denied seeing the accused walk into the building that morning. He said they later went to the Criminal Investigation Department to make a statement to the police.

The matter was adjourned until Thursday, 21 January.

Related Articles

Latest Articles