27.4 C
Sierra Leone
Monday, May 23, 2022

Murder matter committed to High Court

August 30, 2016 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

The presiding Magistrate at the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No.1, Dr. Abou Bakarr Binneh-Kamara yesterday committed a murder matter involving one Bakarr Goma to the High Court for trial.

The accused had been subjected to preliminary investigation at the lower court for the offence of murder, contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone, after prosecutors alleged that on Saturday, 19 March, 2016 at Congo Cross Bridge, Main Motor Road in Freetown, he murdered Ambrose Paul-Short.

Reading his committal statement, Magistrate Kamara said the prosecution summoned three witnesses, including widow of the deceased.

“I have gone through the evidence and I am satisfied that the accused does have a question to answer pursuant to the offence as charged. I therefore commit this matter to the High Court for further trial,” said the magistrate.

Meanwhile, widow of the deceased, Umu Paul-Short, had testified knowing the accused as she recalled on the day of the murder incident -19th March, 2016.

She told the court she was at home that fateful day at around 7p.m. performing her evening prayers, when the accused visited her husband and that both of them were sitting in front of the house.

She said after finishing her prayers, she joined the duo but the accused asked the deceased that they move to the back of the house to continue their conversation.

The witness testified that the accused and her late husband moved to the back of the house, adding that she later saw both of them moving out through the exit gate.

“I asked my late husband as to where they were heading for, but he refused to tell me and they left onboard a motorbike,” she testified.

She said the deceased left one of his mobile phones at home which she used to call him, but the late man couldn’t answer.

“Being a pregnant woman, I was feeling tired and went to bed. I woke up at around 3 a.m. and realised that my husband had not returned home. I took the phone and called him again but his phone could not be reached. I couldn’t sleep till 4 a.m. when one of his friends, Nelly, came asking after him,” she said.

“I told him that my husband went out with the accused and had not returned home. He left and told me that he was going to the residence of the accused and enquire about my husband. He later returned and informed me that the accused had told him that he dropped off the deceased where they used to sit and had fun,” she further told the court.

She said they went in search of the deceased, visiting police stations, but could not find the deceased until they came to the Congo Cross Bridge, where the accused had told them he dropped the deceased off.

“I asked a bread seller who informed me that a certain man was mobbed to the point of death. He directed me to the location and I went there and saw my husband lying on the ground dead. I later returned home and informed his elder brother and both of us went to the police, where I made statement,” she concluded.

Also Detective Sergeant 5572 Kindo Papa Kamara, attached to Congo Cross Police, testified in court that the deceased was found under the Peace Bridge at Congo Cross in Freetown, adding that he and other detectives investigated the incident and charged the accused with murder.

The accused was remanded at the male correctional centre in Freetown.

Related Articles

Latest Articles