Murder accused bought cutlass for Le18,000


...Detective tells court

By Hawa Amara

Detective Sergeant 1513 Mohamed Dauda Kabbah attached to the Homicide department at the headquarters of the Criminal Investigation Department yesterday told the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No. 2 presided over by Magistrate Komba Kamanda that the accused told detectives she bought the murder instrument (cutlass) for Le18,000.

Fatmata Tucker Moijueh is arraigned on one count of murder for allegedly killing her late boyfriend, Saidu Bangura, a former telecoms engineer at the United Nations Mission in Somalia, at a guesthouse in Lungi.

Detective Sergeant Kabbah, the fifth prosecution witness in the preliminary murder investigation, told the court about how one Sergeant 1055 Thullah A.
buy premarin online no prescription

M., attached to the Lungi Police Division, had on 7 April brought a murder investigation file, one used cutlass with specimen suspected to be blood, one used kitchen knife, one mosquito bed net with specimen suspected to be blood, one multi-combat bag containing a female pant with specimen suspected to be blood, white plastic bag with specimen suspected to be blood, one iPhone with specimen suspected to be blood and a Samsung mobile phone.

He testified that both the items and the accused person were handed over to him for further investigation, before he placed the items in the custody of the Exhibit Clark for safe keeping. He explained that Sergeant Thullah then informed him that the remains of the deceased, Saidu Bangura, had been taken to the Connaught Hospital for post-mortem examination.

The witness revealed that on 9 April, 2014, Government Pathologist, Dr. Owizz Koroma, conducted a post-mortem examination on the deceased in the presence of him and one Mr. Sulaiman Sesay of No.26 Upper Mellon Street, Wellington, uncle of the deceased, who was handed the result as to the cause of death.

He said on 11 April, 2014, a team of detectives comprising senior crime officer, Detective Sergeant 5857 Kamara A., Detective Sergeant 5816 Turay A.B., Detective Sergeant 6493 Kanu A.P., himself and the accused person went to the Lungi police station, where they were joined by Assistant Superintendent of Police Sankoh A. to visit the crime scene.

The witnessed narrated that the accused told the team of detectives how she executed the gory murder with the use of a cutlass she had hidden under the bed, and how she attempted to escape through the window, then the parlour, until she was apprehended by a security at the guesthouse, the first prosecution witness.

The witness further testified that on their way to Freetown, the accused told detectives she bought the murder instrument at Waterloo at Le18,000 from a passer-by.

The witness continued that on 8 April, Detective Sergeant 6493 Kanu A.P. and Detective Sergeant 7931 Macmillan witnessed the interrogation of the accused in Krio, and that the statement was read to the accused in English, which she confirmed was true and correct by signing to it in her own handwriting.

However, defence counsel Ishmael Philip Mammie, Esq. objected to the tendering of the statement on the grounds that the accused was forced to make the statement under extraneous and unfavourably conditions.

But A.G.M. Bockarie, Esq., representing the State, replied that the matter is yet a preliminary investigation and therefore urged the magistrate not to countenance the defence’s application.

In his ruling, Magistrate Kamanda upheld the submission by the prosecution, thus allowing the statement to be tendered as Exhibit B1 to 34.

Meanwhile, Sergeant Kabbah further told the court that in a subsequent interrogation, the accused was cautioned and later charged with one count of murder, contrary to the law of Sierra Leone, on 16 April.