Mohamed M’baqui testifies in US$700,000 fraud matter


February 14, 2017 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

Mohamed M’baqui, who was alleged to have duped and attempted to murder an Indian investor, Malik Sariq, has on Friday, 10th February, 2017 narrated in the High Court before Justice Alusine Sesay, as to how he met with the complainant in the matter.

 Mohamed M’baqui and co.accused, Mohamed Mansaray, are in court for an  alleged Seven Hundred Thousand United States Dollars, (US$700,000) fraud,and they were arraigned in 2013 on 86 count charges ranging from conspiracy to defraud, false imprisonment to attempted murder.

The prosecution had alleged that between 2012 and 2013, the accused persons employed false pretense to dupe Indian investor, Malik Sariq of the sum of US$700,000.

It could be recalled that mid last year, the prosecution closed it’s case in the matter, while the onus was now on the  defense  to open theirs, but they had earlier applied that the first accused, Mohamed M’baqui, had a mental turmoil and that he was unfit to take the witness stand and testify. But after several medical cheek ups, the judge ruled that the accused was fit and should therefore testify.

Testifying in court last Friday, 10th February, 2017, Mohamed M’baqui introduced himself as a businessman and that he deals in diamonds, electricals and general merchandise.

He stated that he was working with several companies in conducting his business, adding that he has both national and international business partners.

He disclosed that he owned several companies including White House Diamond Company in Freetown, D-Max SM Limited, D and G International, Revers Mining Company and M.G Limited.

He narrated that in 2012, he went to Conakry, Guinea, to acquire Visa to travel to Japan and Mosco and that while in Guinea, he was introduced by a certain Sierra Leonean lady, to six investors including two Indians, two Nigerians and two other nationals he couldn’t identify.

 He said the investors later displayed some electrical products to him through their laptop computer, while they later exchanged contacts.

“After the sharing of e-mails and cell numbers, I later travelled to Japan where I spent two weeks .I also I went to Mosco where and stayed there for four weeks. When I returned to Freetown, I found out that my e-mail was flooded with unread massages and one of the mail stated that they are coming to Sierra Leone .A week later, I collected six of them at Masaika and brought them to Freetown,” he testified.

Matter was adjourned for continuation of the accused’s  testimony.