27.4 C
Sierra Leone
Monday, May 23, 2022

Le66m heist!

Yada Williams & Associates sue clerk

July 22, 2016 By Hassan Gbassay Koroma

Private law firm, Yada Williams &Associates, has sued one of their clerks who allegedly conspired with some unknown individuals to gain illegal access into their chambers and stole the sum of Le66 million.

The accused, Prince Vandi, has been charged with three counts of conspiracy to commit a felony and office breaking, contrary to section 26(1) of the Larceny Act of 1916.

According to Police Prosecutor, Sergeant 922 Dumbuya, the accused and his co-conspirators on 25 June, 2016 broke and entered into the chambers of the private law firm and stole the above amount.

Testifying before Magistrate Albert J. Moody at the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No.1, at Siaka Steven Street, Osman Jalloh, who introduced himself as a Barrister and Solicitor at Yada Williams & Associates, said he recognised the accused as one of their clerks.

He recalled the morning of Saturday, 25 June, 2016 when driving along Congo Cross in Freetown, to have received a phone call from the accused (Prince Vandi).

He said after receiving the message, he diverted his course and went to the chambers at Walpole Street.

He told the court that when he arrived at the chambers, he observed that the locks to the front door and grill doors were undamaged, but when he climbed the stairs he saw the door to his office damaged.

According to him, Le15 million that was kept in a black travelling bag was missing, plus Le25 million, placed under his desk.

He testified that when he went round the offices of his colleagues – Bernard Jones, Augustine Sorie Marrah and Musa Bittar – their office doors were also damaged, adding that monies and other items were missing in the said offices.

He narrated that he then called all the other solicitors in the chambers and that they each discussed the heist with the clerks.

He continued that Lawyer Bittar enquired as to why the accused had failed to take a file to his house on Friday, 24 June, 2016.

He said the accused replied that he was not feeling well and that he couldn’t call because his phone battery was dead all day.

He said Lawyer Bittar then requested to see the phone, which showed evidence that the accused had made calls on that very day.

He said the lawyer then invited the police to investigate the heist.

The prosecution requested for an adjournment for the witness to identify pictures he took from the crime scene.

Defence lawyer C. Pujeh, renewed his bail application, submitting that his client had been in detention for two weeks.

However, the presiding magistrate refused to grant bail and remanded the accused at the Male Correctional Centre in Freetown until the adjourned date of 25, July 2016.

Related Articles

Latest Articles