25.9 C
Sierra Leone
Saturday, January 22, 2022

Investigation officer testifies in Le180m fuel theft

May 14, 2015 By Hawa Amara

Investigation officer at the Criminal Investigation Department, Sidi Kalilu Mansaray, yesterday told a Freetown magistrate court that 40,000 liters of diesel was handed over to him for further investigation.

The alleged stolen diesel, according to the witness, was valued at Le180 million, and property of the former National Power Authority, now Electricity Distribution and Supply Authority.

The accused persons, including former accountant Mustapha Sannoh, Aiah Moseray, Mohamed Mamoud Conteh, Sheriff Koroma and Admire Brown, were arraigned at the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No.1 presided over by Magistrate Komba Kamanda on four counts of conspiracy to defraud, larceny by servant, embezzlement and obtaining goods by false pretence, contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

According to the prosecution, the accused persons conspired with some unknown individuals to defraud the government of Sierra Leone by falsely representing that the NPA sub-station at Blackhall Road in Freetown was in urgent need of fuel, which was accordingly requested and caused to be supplied between 10 and 18 May, 2014.

Mansaray, who is the seventh prosecution witness, told the court that on 19 May, 2014, ASP F.J. Bayoh handed to him two cartons of photocopies of NP delivery notes of 40,000 liters of diesel meant for the NPA sub-station at Blackhall Road that was alleged to have been stolen.

He said ASP Bayoh also led him to the office of deputy head of crime management, Mr. G.M.T. Tommy, and that he was shown a vehicle with registration No. AHD 650 that was also impounded,with the sum of Le145 million in it.

He said the said vehicle and money were delivered to the Exhibit Clerk. And the tanker containing 40,000 liters of diesel was parked at the Kissy police station.

The witness explained that he and a team of detectives obtained statements from staffs of both NPA and NP.

He revealed that during the investigation, the driver of the said tanker led them to Wilberforce, where he met with the 1st accused (Sannoh), and later took them to NP Blackhall Road, where the NP delivery notes in respect of the 40,000 liters of diesel was recovered.

The witness said that on 29 May the driver of the tanker led a team of investigators, staff of NP and the accused persons to the Kissy Police Station, where the NP staff examined the tanker.

The NP staff inspected the old seal of the tanker before cutting it off to replace it with a new one, while the diesel was handed over to the Exhibit Clerk, the witness also testified.

State prosecutor, M.M. Sesay, requested an adjournment, which was granted until 10 June.

Related Articles

Latest Articles