19.4 C
Sierra Leone
Friday, January 28, 2022

Fire engulfs 11 apartments

March 19, 2015 By Victoria Saffa

Over 100 residents in the Portee community are at present homeless due to a mysterious fire incident that engulfed eleven apartments.

The accident occurred yesterday at Wright Street in Portee, east of Freetown, at around 1:00pm, destroying properties worth millions of Leones and an estimated physical cash of Le3 million burnt to ashes.

According to Salamatu Kamara, who is mother of the landlord, her grandchild raised the fire alarm and she went inside the house only to see fire blazing under her bed.

“I immediately took the child and went outside but I was unable to remove my things because as soon as I left the room, the fire sparked-off. Some neighbours came to my aid pouring water to put out the fire,” she said.

An eyewitness and close door neighbour who was at the scene, Isata Kallay, told Concord Times that there was no electricity and none of them was cooking when the fire erupted.

She said the landlord, his two wives and most of the tenants were not at home during the blaze, hence only few properties were rescued.

“We immediately called the Fire Force hotline but they did not show up on time, but we tried our best in helping them to put out the fire without success,” she said.

Sheikh Fuad S. Kabia, who owns the apartments, told Concord Times that he was not at home when the fire started but was called by one of his neighbours who told him about the incident and he immediately rushed home.

“I have lost all my money and properties, I am the breadwinner of my home and I have two wives and six children,” he lamented. “I am therefore calling on well-wishers to come to my aid because all is lost.”

Related Articles

Latest Articles