FIFA refute media report on Kargbo’s match-fixing allegation

0
81
SHARE

January 27, 2015 By: Sahr Morris Jr

The world football governing body, FIFA has denied both local and international media reports that the lack sufficient evidence regarding allegations of match-fixing involving former Leone Stars skipper, Ibrahim ‘Obreh’ Kargbo in Holland.

It was reported by several media institution in Freetown and in the Netherlands that they (FIFA) lack sufficient evidence on the match-fixing allegation levy on the former Williem II midfielder to suspend him (Kargbo) from playing football in all countries.

Denying the media reports, a spokesperson from the football governing body said: “We have never said to any media that FIFA “haven´t got sufficient evidence”.

The FIFA spokesperson further stated: “Speaking generally, the integrity of the game is a top priority for FIFA and as such we take any allegations of match manipulation very seriously.

“The Kargbo matter is primarily being dealt with by the Sierra Leone and the Dutch FAs in accordance with their respective jurisdiction. In respect of possible extension of the sanctions apparently pronounced by the Sierra Leone FA in the second part of the year 2014, we are currently communicating with the Sierra Leone FA in order to receive all the relevant and necessary documentation and information that need to be submitted to the Chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee for his consideration (cf. art 136ff of the FIFA Disciplinary Code).

“Please understand that we cannot provide you with any further comments about potential investigations as not to compromise them.”

Dutch Media, De Volkskrant, earlier last week reported that the former Leone Stars skipper was the main suspect in match manipulation in two of Willem II Eredivisie clashes against Ajax and Feyenoord during the 2009/10 league season.


SHARE