FCC monitors NPSE exams


May 7, 2018 By Yusufu S. Bangura

FCC monitors were at this centre to monitor the NPSE

Last Friday (May 4), the Freetown City Council (FCC) together with journalists monitored centres across the city as candidates wrote the National Primary School Examinations (NPSE).

The council’s delegation, headed by Special Assistant to the Mayor, Arthur Kwesi John, observed that this year’s exams was more organised as question papers were taken to the centres on time.

As usual, a large crowd of parents were seen outside the centres waiting for their kids. Even though they were told to go home, they refused, with some preferring to wait across the street.

At Laura Dove Primary School in Kissy, council officials expressed dissatisfaction over the absence of electricity in the classrooms as candidates were finding it difficult to clearly view question papers.

The team also moved around with some staff of the West Africa Examinations Council (WAEC) to ensure that the process went on without any hindrance.

According to Kwesi John, council would compile their observation and send it to WAEC for the latter to be informed about issues that ensued during the exams.

Acting Principal of Annie Walsh Memorial Junior Secondary School, Mrs. Antoinette Horton, said 385 candidates from six different primary schools wrote the exams at her school.

She told newsmen forty pupils occupied each spacious classroom, but disclosed that twelve candidates were absent for the exams.

She commended WAEC for what she described as a job well done – as all exams materials were enough and came in on time – adding that candidates were also at the centre on time.

Mrs. Horton said that candidates were well prepared and excited to take the exams, which could determine whether they will proceed to secondary school.

She noted that the invigilators were very cooperative in ensuring that there was no malpractice.

On his part, Principal of Bishop Johnson Memorial Secondary, Joshua C. J. Tucker, said 877 candidates from seventeen schools took the exam at the centre.

He said though they recorded zero absentees, one of the pupils was too frightened and had to be comforted by his parents.