Father testifies in daughter’s murder matter


March 1, 2019

By Yusufu S. Bangura

Lamin Mustapha Sankoh, father of Isata Sankoh, who was allegedly murdered by one John Kamara-his fiancé, has testified in the Freetown Magistrates’ Court before Magistrate Hannah Bonnie.

Mustapha Sankoh identified the accused as his late daughter’s fiancé, recalling the date of the alleged incident.

The witness told the court that on that fateful day at around 8pm, he was at Milton Margai College of Education Technology (MMCET), Congo Cross campus, when he received information from his wife that the deceased had gone to the Tangiays festival at the National Stadium.

According to the witness, he later received information that the deceased was at Owen Street, but that when he called the mobile phone number of the deceased, a certain individual called Foday answered the call and informed him (the father) that the deceased was in a critical condition.

He said on the following day, they visited Owen Street and that the said Foday sent someone to collect them.

He said upon their arrival, they were shown the deceased, who was unable to talk, stand, with her neck already broken in addition to some injuries on her jaw.

The witness said the accused had told him that the deceased collapsed at stadium gate and that he was later taken to his residence for medical attention.

He told the court that they took the accused together with the deceased to Eastern Police Station, where they were issued with a medical request form, which they took to Connaught Hospital for treatment.

He narrated that they were admitted for 10days.

The witness testified that on the 31st December, 2018, the deceased died, and that on the following day he informed the police while the remains was conveyed to the Connaught Mortuary for post-mortem examination.

The accused is before the court on one count of murder contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

It was alleged that 25 years old John Kamara, a trader, murdered one Isata Sankoh at Mountain Cut, Freetown on Wednesday, 26th December 2018.

The matter was prosecuted by Assistant Superintendent of Police, Ibrahim S. Mansaray and the accused was represented by Lawyer H.M Gavao.

Meanwhile, Magistrate Hannah Bonnie remanded the accused and adjourned the matter to Tuesday 5th March.