20.3 C
Sierra Leone
Saturday, November 27, 2021

Deserving institutions, individuals await AWOL award

-Hospitality Industry and local NGO included in award categories 

November 6, 2017 By Ibrahim Tarawallie

AWOL Global Chairman, Anthony Navo Jr.

The stage is all set now to host the 13th National Achievements Awards ceremony at the Bintumani International Conference Hall on December 30, 2017 on the theme: “Our Environment, Our Life, Our Future”.

The awards ceremony is an initiative by the All Walks of Life (AWOL) Development Organisation to recognise deserving Sierra Leoneans and institutions that have performed extremely well in the areas of governance and private sector to move the country forward.

Chairman of the National Achievement Awards Committee, Shollay Davies, described the award as a national event designed to honour deserving individuals and organisations for their outstanding contribution to the country’s development.

He was speaking on Friday, November 3, at the official launch of the award and the various categories that would be voted for by the public, at the Radisson Blu Mammy Yoko Hotel in Freetown.

He revealed that members of the public will have the opportunity to cast their votes, choosing from twenty-five different categories, including the newly introduced hospitality industry and local NGO categories.

He stated that in order to ensure transparency in the process leading up to the award, a team of credible individuals drawn from civil society were selected by AWOL to form the committee.

According to him, the mandate of the committee is to finalise the award categories, develop criteria for each category, as well as the responsibility of ensuring confidentiality of the process leading to the award.

“The committee will select three nominees per category to be considered for the award. Nominations for the different categories are opened from today until 25 November 2017,” he said, while assuring confidentiality throughout the process.

He added that the process of compiling the shortlisted nominees for the various categories of award will be carried out from November 26 to 30th, while an announcement will be made on December 1.

Mr. Davies, who doubles as Deputy Commissioner of the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), maintained that they have decided to have an electronic means of voting through a website established by AWOL, as well as a mobile short code 3344 from any Africell line to be used by the public for voting.

“Voting will be allowed only once per category. The public will account for 60% of the award with the remaining 40% coming from the opinions of members of the committee,” he explained.

Related Articles

Latest Articles