19.4 C
Sierra Leone
Friday, January 28, 2022
spot_img

Deputy Minister denies having forceful sex with rape ‘victim’

May 27, 2015 By Patrick Jaiah Kamara

Former Deputy Minister of Education, Science and Technology, Mahmoud Tarawally, yesterday denied to have had forceful sexual intercourse with a 24-year-old university student who alleged he had raped her in September last year.

While responding to questions during cross-examination from State Prosecutor Allieu Vandy Koroma, the former deputy minister told the court he was dating the complainant four months prior to the alleged incident and that he had told the victim on two occasions that the ministry had no scholarship for Ukraine.

He also denied referring the complainant to one Mr. Pearce, an official at the Ministry of Education, in respect of the scholarship, and that he did not retain any document belonging to the complainant.

At this point, the prosecutor applied for the statement the accused made to the police to be read to him, and when he did, it was contrary to his answer under cross-examination.

However, the accused denied he told the police such while giving statement.

When the prosecutor put it to the accused that the complainant had refused to have sex with him at his friend’s house, Mr. Tarawally replied that she was “willing and ready for the action” and in fact there was foreplay before the one-hour long intercourse took place.

He also told the court that the complainant didn’t run away from the room and that he even gave her transport before her departure.

“She was not tied down neither coerced to have sex with me; she gave her consent before sex. After which I gave her transport and she left. She never escaped,” Tarawally reiterated.

He also denied to have had any scuffle with the complainant, resulting to bruises on her hands and damaged mobile phones.

The former deputy minister was led in evidence last week by his lawyer, Sulaiman Kabba-Koroma, as the first defence witness after the prosecution had closed their case earlier last month.

He was accused of rape in September last year and subsequently relieved of his duties by President Ernest Bai Koroma.

He was initially refused bail and remanded at the Pademba Road prison in Freetown, before a magistrate granted him bail. The matter was deemed to warrant trial at the High Court following a preliminary investigation by a magistrate court.

This matter will come up again on 2 June.

Related Articles

Latest Articles