March 19, 2021
By Jeneba A Conteh
Lawyers representing 31 accused persons, who are mostly residents of Lunsar, have on Wednesday, 17th March, 2021, told the court that they will file a written no-case submission as against the next court sitting.
The disclosure to submit a no-case submission came after the defense cross-examined the prosecution’s tenth and last witness and after they disclosed that the prosecution have closed their case.
31 accused persons were on Wednesday 17th March 2021 arraigned before Magistrate Mark Ngegba of the Pademba Road Court No.1, for an alleged riot in Lunsar which saw the destruction of property belonging to the Paramount Chief, Bai Koblo Queen, amounting to over Le 11 billion, and the murder of PC’s nephew, Alie Kabia.
Consequently, the 31 accused persons faced several counts charges. Among them are: murder, riotous conduct, throwing missile, disorderly behaviour, among others.
State Counsel Yusif Isaac Sesay is prosecuting the matter, lawyer Lansana Dumbuya is representing the 14th accused person, lawyer Pujeh is representing the 26th accused person, while lawyer Macfoy is representing all other accused persons.
Systems and Data Analyst, Detective Mohamed Jusu, attached at Cyber Crime Unit, Scientific Support Department, Criminal Investigations Department, who had earlier testified, was duly cross-examined by defense counsels.
In his cross-examination, Lawyer Lansana Dumbuya argued that his client was not present when the alleged incident took place.
He also argued that the video which had earlier been played in court during a protest in Lunsar identified a man named Bulgur as the ring leader.
In his own address to the court, Lawyer Macfoy said that the witness is not the author of the video, adding that someone who did the video might have tampered with it.
But the witness noted that he had used his expertise and has reached the conclusion that the video was not tampered with.
Lawyer Macfoy also disclosed that the faces of his client did not appear in the protest video,as well as their names not mentioned. Prosecution witness Jusu agreed with lawyer Macfoy.
Magistrate Mark Ngegba admonished the defense counsels to ensure that they submit their written no-case submission on the next adjourned date. “It is a must that you submit your no-case submission on the next adjourned date,” he said.
Magistrate Mark Ngegba remanded all accused persons and adjourned the matter to the 24th March 2021.