21.1 C
Sierra Leone
Tuesday, May 24, 2022
spot_img

DEADLY EBOLA IN BRITAIN

Strict isolation measures were used when Mr Pooley arrived at RAF Notholt near London, having been flown from Sierra Leone
Strict isolation measures were used when Mr Pooley arrived at RAF Notholt near London, having been flown from Sierra Leone

The news that the a Briton infected in the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has been flown for treatment in London makes headlines throughout Monday’s press.

The Daily Mail names the health worker involved as 29-year-old William Pooley from Woodbridge in Suffolk, who had been working in Sierra Leone since March.

For the last five weeks, the paper says, he had worked at a specialist Ebola centre.

His boss from another West African health clinic tells the Mail, “Will said he felt a strong responsibility to the patients there as they were being abandoned by doctors and nurses who were fearful of contracting the Ebola virus”.

Mr Pooley will be treated in a specialist ward at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, London, which the paper says will be his “home for months”.

Among the strict hygiene measures are a special £25,000 bed which will be destroyed rather than being re-used by another patient.

The Daily Mirror notes the health worker – the first Briton to catch Ebola since a laboratory worker accidentally infected himself in 1976 – was described as “not currently seriously unwell”.

Dr Paul Cosford, England’s public health protection chief, is quoted as saying, “UK hospitals have a proven record of dealing with imported infectious diseases and this patient will be isolated and receive the best care possible.”

The Sun hails Mr Pooley as a “hero nurse”, who worked without wages and lived in a “basic guesthouse” near the treatment centre.

An American doctor who helps run the facility tells the Sun: “He is a popular member of staff… everyone at the hospital speaks very highly of him. He was playing a pivotal role.”

As news comes that an experimental antiviral drug has been used successfully to save lives from Ebola – having been approved for use before the conclusion of formal testing – Maurice Saatchi writing in the Daily Telegraph calls for the same approach to be used on new cancer therapies.

Pointing out that 150,000 Britons will die from cancer this year, he says “doctors should be encouraged to try new treatments and protected when they do so”.

He quotes a medical expert, who says “there will be no cure for cancer until real doctors with real patients in real hospitals are allowed to innovate.”

Source: BBC News

Previous articleWHO Country Representative replaced By Mohamed Massaquoi Dr. Mufunda, Jacob World Health Organization, (WHO) Country Representative has been withdrawn from Sierra Leone a week after President Ernest Bai Koroma openly expressed his disappointment during his visits to the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at the WHO Country Office at Cantonment Road, Off King Harman Road, Brookfields. However WHO Information Officer, Joy Ribatta in an exclusive interview with Concord Times said the replacement of Dr. Mufunda, Jacob is part of WHO policy to rotate it staff from one country to another for efficiency in their work. She said for the past months since the Ebola outbreak, Dr. Jacob has been working hard to meet WHO standards in respond to the outbreak nothing that her organization is committed to the fight against Ebola in Sierra Leone and the entire West Africa Sub-region. She said Jacob has worked tirelessly since the outbreak and it is necessarily for him to have a break for other personnel to take the leadership of the country office. “A high powered delegation from WHO and United Nations Headquarters will be in the country to meet with stakeholders including government officials on Monday to discuss, the UN agencies responds to the outbreak, with specific reference to the role of WHO over the past three months” she said. Impeccable sources within State House revealed that Jacob has not been giving the necessarily advise to the government of Sierra Leone in dealing with the Ebola outbreak. “It is good that the president was very strong in his statement during his visit to the WHO chief. Our international partners should treat us will all the seriousness we deserve,” our source stated. But President Koroma has early registered his utter dismay over the slow pace of the International Community in response to his clarion call to support the fight against Ebola outbreak since May, 2014. “I am disappointed at the international community in their delay in responding towards the fight against the deadly Ebola virus in Sierra Leone,” the President said. “We have not been provided with enough equipment, resources, qualified health officers, and we have lost the only expert we had in the country to the disease amidst the declaration of the international health emergency on Ebola.” He disclosed that he had had discussions with the UN Secretary General Mr. Ban Ki Moon and the U.N. Chief promised to be in touch with the Director General of the WHO to address the situation. “I think we have made an appeal to the international community and we have taken the measures that we should take, but we still do not have much response and I am disappointed at them over the delays to respond to the situation,” he maintained.
Next articleAirlines ban poses difficulty in Ebola fight

Related Articles

Latest Articles