Commercial sex worker, others granted Le300m bail

0
93
SHARE

April 29, 2015 By Patrick J. Kamara

Magistrate Mohamed Seray Wurie, presiding at the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No. 6, yesterday granted Le100 million bail with two sureties to each of three accused persons that appeared before him charged with stealing and receiving of stolen property, contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

The accused persons are Kadiatu Mansaray, Saidu Kamara and Mohamed Allieu Bah.

Magistrate Wurie insisted that the sureties and the accused persons should produce at least two evidences of identity, national identity cards, national passports, voter registration cards or driver’s licenses.

He said three of the six sureties must produce their title deeds to landed property situated in the Western Area as guarantee to ensure the appearance of the accused in the High Court, and that the bail should be approved by the acting Master and Registrar of the High Court.

Police prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent M.A. Fofanah, told the court that on 7 January this year, the 1st accused Kadiatu Mansaray, a commercial sex worker, was picked-up on the road by the complainant, Kelvin Davies, who took her to his house at No. 28 Percival Street, and that after having an affair with her, both of them slept-off. He said at around 3 to 4am, the accused woke up and allegedly stole 60.19 and 14 grams gold chains, both valued Le27 million.

On the count of receiving stolen goods, the prosecution alleged that the 2nd and 3rd accused persons – Saidu Kamara & Mohamed Allieu Bah – on the same date allegedly received the said chains, knowing they had been stolen, and further facilitated their sales.

Before committing the matter to the High Court, Magistrate Wurie said he was with the firm conviction that the prosecution had adduced sufficient evidence to warrant a committal of the matter to the superior court for trial.

“Having considered very seriously the statement and particulars of the offences, including the testimonies of the prosecution witnesses plus the statement of the accused persons to the police, I am satisfied that the prosecution has adduced sufficient evidence linking the accused persons to the offences charged and therefore commit them to the High Court for trial,” he ruled.


SHARE