Tens of workers lose their jobs
By Alusine Sesay & Patrick J. Kamara
The Ebola outbreak in the country continues to take its toll on the population, not least the economic sector, and the entertainment industry – among others – is now bearing the brunt of the government ban on the operations of entertainment centers.
Concord Times on Tuesday undertook a survey on some of the entertainment centres across the city and the outcome was that there has been a considerable cut down on staff in the entertainment industry exacerbated by the drop in sales and customer loss.
“We have sent home sixty-eight of our staff due to the ban on the operation of entertainment centers, which has consequently affected our sales, among others,” said Ahmed Samu, Manager of Quincy’s Bar and Night Club at Aberdeen in the west of Freetown. “We’ve only maintained three staff and we pray that the Ebola outbreak is contained before the festive season when we expect more business.”
According Samu, they’ve lost a good number of their customers who frequented the club at night-time due to the ban on night clubs. This, he said, has seen their sales drop to an unprecedented low level.
“Even before the ban by State House, we were experiencing very tough times in running the business but the ban has made things worse,” he lamented. “We are struggling with maintaining the running of electricity and we spend over two hundred dollars just in running our generator.”
Formerly Paddy’s Night Club, Quincy’s Bar and Night Club was established just before the Ebola outbreak, and Samu said they had run the business for only one month and few days when the deadly Ebola virus invaded the country.
“We are yet to recoup the money we spent to renovate the entire centre. We pray that this outbreak will be successfully dealt with by the government so that normal life will resume in the society,” he said.
Despite all these setbacks, Samu commended the government for the measures taken so far to curb the further spread of the disease.
For Aces Night Club, the entire centre has shutdown and appears like a ghost entity.
One of the youth hanging around the club’s vicinity who identified himself as a frequent visitor at the club, Mohamed Kanu, said the centre has completely suspended its operations since government imposed the ban on night entertainment centers.