20.3 C
Sierra Leone
Saturday, January 29, 2022
spot_img

As Operation Northern Push pushes on…

1,184 quarantined in Port Loko & Kambia

July 13, 2015 By Victoria Saffa

Director of Situation Room at the National Ebola Response Centre (NERC), Omarr B. Sesay, has said that more houses in the two northern districts of Port Loko and Kambia have been quarantined as part of ‘Operation Northern Push.

He was speaking last week during a NERC press briefing at military headquarters, Cockerill, west of Freetown.

According Sesay, the number of people and houses placed under quarantine has increased significantly in the past week in Kambia and Port Loko. He said some 658 persons have been placed in quarantine in Kambia, with 37 highly at risk, while 158 households have been put under quarantine in Port Loko, with a population of 526 people, among whom 95 are at high risk.

A total of 1,184 people are under quarantine in the two districts as at Friday July 10.

He said the number of people and houses under quarantine has doubled since the start of ‘Operation Safeguard’, adding that ‘Operation Northern Push’ will continue until the country achieves zero case of the Ebola virus disease.

The NERC director of Situation Room said food and medical supplies are being delivered on time and that security forces are properly equipped and well fed to carry out their duties, noting that communities have started to understand they play an important part in monitoring and supporting those in quarantine, although they still need to do more.

He said efforts of contact tracers have yielded fruits as there are no runaways, adding that they have managed to keep all new contacts in quarantined homes.

“Prior to the launch of the current operation, we had received complaints about people running away from quarantined homes,” Sesay told newsmen. “We are now working with Paramount Chiefs, headman, and traditional healers in the Operation Northern Push strive to get to zero.”

Related Articles

Latest Articles