20.4 C
Sierra Leone
Thursday, May 26, 2022
spot_img

AS EPA, ONS issue 90 days quit notice…

Lands Ministry PRO says ‘We have no land for slum dwellers’

June 22, 2016 By Victoria Saffa

As the Environment Protection Agency (EPA) and Office of National Security (ONS) issue a ninety days ultimatum for residents in 30 disaster prone areas in Freetown to quit, with immediate effect, Public Relations Officer of the Ministry Of Lands, Country Planning and the Environment, Alfred Kabia, has stated that they have no land for slum dwellers at the moment and that they would only provide one when the need arises.

He made this statement yesterday in an exclusive interview with Concord Times at his Youyi Building office in Freetown.

He says the Lands Ministry was in support of moves by the two institutions to remove people from disaster prone areas, adding that they too had engaged slum dwellers on the dangers of living in those communities.

“We have been engaging people living in these slum areas to leave so that their lives and properties can be protected. Even the last year flood disaster that occurred in those areas, many people lost their lives and properties. We have provided 200 acres of land at Mile Six as a new settlement for the victims, but most of them have returned to these slum communities,” says Kabia.

ONS Director of Planning and Inter-Agency Relations, Francis Langumba Keili, told Concord Times that within the next one to two months, the country would experience very heavy downpour of rain that could likely surpass last year’s that caused the flood disaster in September 2015.

He says the ONS has identified 30 disaster prone areas in Freetown and urged residents to evacuate the areas with immediate effect and avoid the wrath of nature.

He reveals that government spent over Le6 billion in the aftermath of last year’s flooding to care for the victims.

Related Articles

Latest Articles