23.9 C
Sierra Leone
Friday, May 20, 2022
spot_img

As call for congress gains momentum…

FIFA refuses to comment on SLFA crisis

NOVEMBER 27, 2014 By Sahr Morris Jr.

The world football governing body, FIFA has refused to comment on the ongoing crisis between the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) and football stakeholders as the latter’s call for an extra-ordinary congress continues to gain momentum across the country.

Over 38 football stakeholders recently met at the Siaka Stevens Stadium in Freetown and took a decision to stage an extra-ordinary congress on December 20 after they unanimously resolved to invoke Article 28 of the SLFA Statutes, which talks about the hosting of a congress.

However, with alleged reports from the SLFA that FIFA has frown at moves by the stakeholders to host a congress, a spokesperson of the FIFA media department, in an exclusive interview with Concord Sports, refused to shed more light on the ongoing impasse but dilated on several other issues relating to the country’s football.

When asked whether FIFA has frown at the move by Sierra Leone’s football stakeholders, the FIFA spokesperson Olegs Sokols reacted: “We are in regular contact with the SLFA. For the time being we have no further comments to make on the specific matter referred to in your question.”

When further asked about FIFA’s view on the stakeholders move, the reply given was the same: “We are in regular contact with the SLFA. For the time being we have no further comments to make on the specific matter referred to in your question.”

In reaction to FIFA’s silence, owner and founder of Premier League club, Anti Drugs FC, Alhaji Unisa Alim ‘Awoko’ Sesay – who also doubles as Chairman of the SLFA Constitutional Committee – said he is pleased with FIFA’s stance so far and that they have already informed them (FIFA) about the December 20 congress.

He said: “We have already communicated with FIFA and also extended an invitation to them and the Africa football governing body, CAF to come and witness the congress.”

Already, the stakeholders have received the backing of the National Sports Council (NSC), who has urged the SLFA Executive Committee to respect the association’s constitution and convene an extra-ordinary congress on December 10, 2014.

In another issue, Sokols revealed that no further decision has been made by FIFA regarding a donation towards the fight against Ebola.

“The FIFA Finance Committee decided to donate US$50,000 to each of the football associations of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone – to be spent in conjunction with a local United Nations initiative. No more decisions have been made for the time being.”

Related Articles

Latest Articles