Armed Robbery: Witness says accused used crowbar to remove toe nail


August 24, 2015 By Hawa Amara

One Kusai Shuman last Friday told the court that armed robbery accused, Mustapha Jusu and Solomon Sesay used crowbar to remove his big toe nail and further hit him on his left leg.

In his testimony, the witness, who is a businessman along the Masingbi-Masiaka highway, told the court that he was in his bedroom with his wife on the night of 19 June when he overheard noise at his father’s apartment at around 1:30am. He said he opened the door to go to his father’s apartment when he came face-to-face with the armed robbers, who shot in the air and ordered him to go inside.

According to Shuman, he followed their order and went into his brother’s apartment, where he was informed that his father had been shot and killed by the robbers.

He said he saw the accused persons in the company of two others, who stabbed his brother on the chest, damaged his eye and broke his leg.

He said the first accused (Jusu) then hit him with a crowbar on his left leg and removed the nail of his toe, adding that the accused persons entered his apartment and carted away the sum of Le10 million and other valuables worth Le8.8 million.

However, the witness said he later discovered that the robbers shot his father on his side and broke his ribs.

He said he was subsequently invited by the police to make a statement at the Masiaka Police Station.

Also testifying, Police Constable (PC) 12407 David Kombo Kamara told the court that on the same day, he received a call from one Fatmata, who informed him that they had been attacked by armed robbers.

He said Fatmata further informed him that the robbers had wounded her husband (Kusai) and carted away property and were headed towards the direction of Magburaka.

PC Kamara stated that he was not on duty but alerted one of his colleagues, David Fullah, with whom he went to Matotoka Junction and laid in wait for the accused persons, although they did not show up.

The police officer said he left for Makali village, while his colleague remained at Matotoka Junction.

He narrated that at Makali village he saw a taxi heading towards Matotoka highway and that he chased it and the accused persons started shooting in the air. He said he exchanged firing with the accused persons, who then dragged their car into the bush.

The witness continued that the second accused (Sesay) then alighted from the car and ran away but was pursued and captured, while one of the robbers was later found dead and the others escaped.

He said they found an AK47 rifle in the robbers’ car with nine live bullets in the magazine. “I later called for reinforcement and both accused and the rifle were taken to the police station,” he narrated.

The accused persons were arraigned at the Freetown Magistrates’ Court No.1 presided over by Magistrate Mohamed Seray-Wurie on six counts of conspiracy to commit a felony, to wit robbery with aggravation, robbery with aggravation, wounding and assault.

The accused persons were remanded at the Pademba Road Male Correctional Centre, while the matter continues in court.