19.3 C
Sierra Leone
Saturday, January 29, 2022
spot_img

Amputee wins 2015 Innovation Award

September 30, 2015 By Victoria Saffa

An amputee by the name of Archippus T. Sesay has won this year’s ‘Youth Innovation Award’ for his idea to build artificial limbs using local materials.

The award winner was announced yesterday during the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) organised Social Good Summit at the Mary Kingsley auditorium, Fourah Bay College, University of Sierra Leone.

UNDP Country Director, Sudipto Mukerejee, congratulated the winner and called on leaders across the country to stay on the right path in implementing the new landmark sustainable goals that have already been adopted by leaders across world.

Some 750 pupils from over 150 secondary schools across the country took part in the competition, with 150 applications that proposed solutions to tangible problems in their communities, according to the organisers.

60% of the selected projects this year are related to energy, while the remaining 40% are themed on waste management, reinforcing the fact that these two areas require urgent innovations in the country.

Among the finalists that were present at the award ceremony include three schools from Bo district, southern Sierra Leone – Queen of the Rosary Secondary School, Awada School, and Bo Government Secondary School, while the Saint Francis Secondary School, United Methodist Senior Secondary School, and Modern School of Science and Business represented Bombali district, northern Sierra Leone.

Sesay took home a cash prize of US$2,000 for his innovative idea of producing local artificial limbs, which are far cheaper than their imported equivalent which many amputees cannot afford.

Responding after receiving the award, Sesay praised the UNDP and Innovate Sierra Leone for coming up with such a “good idea”, and urged the UN agency to continue sponsoring such programmes to discover more brilliant and talented people.

Related Articles

Latest Articles