55 rioters remanded again


February 16, 2018 By Yusufu S. Bangura

Magistrate Santigie Bangura presiding at the Siaka Steven Street Court No.1, yesterday (15 February 2018) relocated fifty-five accused persons to the Male Correctional Centre as one of them was not in court.

Last week, 55 of the accused persons pleaded guilty to the offence of riotous conduct during their maiden appearance in court, but the first accused, Amara Kamara, who was charged with wounding with intent, denied the charges. The magistrate remanded them pending sentencing.

Yesterday, the magistrate has to adjourn the matter again because there were issues between the defense and the prosecution, which he promised to, clarify before handing down sentence on the rioters.

Meanwhile, Police prosecutor, ASP I.S Mansaray ,told  journalists  after court sitting that he had noticed that one of the accused persons, whose birth certificate was attached to the charge sheet, is a juvenile  and that  he was the particular accused that was absent in court.

According to Police Prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent of Police I.S. Mansaray, first accused Amara Kamara a.k.a. Sugar wounded Inspector Salieu Kamara with intent to murder him.

The prosecution had earlier  alleged that Sorie Ibrahim Koroma a.k.a. Shek, Daniel Kamara, Mohamed Foday Kallon, Yusifu Sesay, Alimamy Kamara, and 50 others, on 26th January, at Campbell Street in Freetown, behaved in riotous manner, contrary to the laws of Sierra Leone.

There was an outright uproar after the magistrate remanded the accused persons  for the second time, as relatives were anticipating a possible alternative sentencing.

It could be recalled that on 26th January, after the nomination of the ruling All People’s Congress presidential, parliamentary candidates, police arrested 56 persons, who were allegedly involved in riotous conduct at Campbell Street.

They were later jointly charged with riotous conduct after spending over ten days in police custody.

However, Magistrate Bangura has adjourned the matter to 21st February, 2018 for sentencing.