AUGUST 23,2014 By Josephine A. Seppeh (Intern)
In a bid to combat the spread of the Ebola viral disease, 236 households across the country have been quarantined with 1,148 individuals directly affected by the public health measure, said Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Sarian Kamara, yesterday.
Speaking at a press conference in Freetown, Dr. Kamara revealed that 225 confirmed Ebola patients have survived the disease so far, and subsequently discharged from treatment centres in Kailahun and Kenema, two of the worst affected districts.
She said the government of Sierra Leone and World Food Program (WFP) will be providing food for households that have been quarantined.
The deputy Chief Medical Officer said that a team from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in the United States has arrived in the country and are setting up a laboratory to test suspected Ebola patients in Kenema.
Also, she disclosed that a team of World Health Organisation experts from South Africa is the country to set up another laboratory at Lakka in the Western Urban district.
“This laboratory will also be used for people from the northern province instead of taking blood specimens to Kenema and Kailahun for test. The old treatment center at Kenema is still functioning and it has been expanded for the admission of Ebola victims until the new treatment center, which is under construction, is completed,” she said.