24.4 C
Sierra Leone
Saturday, January 29, 2022
spot_img

10 districts tackle Ebola

March 12, 2015 By Victoria Saffa

NERC boss, Rtd. Maj. Alfred Palo Conteh
NERC boss, Rtd. Maj. Alfred Palo Conteh

Chief Executive Officer of the National Ebola Response Centre (NERC), Rtd. Maj. Alfred Palo Conteh, has stated that 10 out of 14 districts appear to have tackled the Ebola virus as they have gone for days without recording new confirmed cases of Ebola.

He said that only four districts – Port Loko, Bombali, Kambia and Western Area – are still grappling with the deadly virus, and expressed hope that the 10 districts would continue recording zero case and “snuff out the wicked virus”.

He revealed that the country recorded 55 new confirmed cases last week, which is the lowest since the establishment of NERC, noting that though the figure was still very high, yet it signifies that though the fight is difficult the strategy is working.

“We have to remember that there is no single response, no magic answer or law that will now bring the outbreak to an end. The winning formula is the combination of measures with the full cooperation of the people,” he said.

Rtd. Maj. Conteh added that NERC and its partners are working closely with the security forces and Ministry of Health and Sanitation to ensure that checkpoints are fully manned and that everyone is thoroughly checked.

He said every Sierra Leonean has a part to play, particularly those who are in a position of leadership, like Paramount Chiefs, religious leaders, traditional leaders, and family elders as they are the ones their communities look up to.

He urged members of the public to continue adhering to preventive measures against the virus, including safe burials, complying with the standard operating procedures, keep sick people away from others, and to always get them early treatment by calling the Ebola 117 hotline.

Related Articles

Latest Articles