OCTOBER 22, 2014 By Alusine Sesay
In spite of the outbreak of the Ebola Viral Disease and the disruption of all business activities in the country, Concord Times has, in an exclusive interview, engaged the Management of the Bintumani Hotel, which is celebrating over a decade of doing business in Sierra Leone. The hotel is currently undergoing complete renovation in a bid to upgrade it to an ultra-modern 5 Star Hotel status.
From the reception to its entire facilities, the hotel is being upgraded to an avant-garde status with more modern facilities provided that would suit the comfort of world travellers.
While the Ebola outbreak has forced other hotel managements to send their staff home without monthly salary, the Bintumani Hotel still strives amidst this challenging situation to remunerate their staff.
“Our business has been gradually downsizing its operation due to the effect of the Ebola outbreak and the current renovation work ongoing around the hotel. Management has been paying monthly salaries of our staff even though they are currently not doing anything. However, it is becoming obvious we are finding it very difficult to continue to pay all of our staff,” said Deputy General Manager, Madam Dustana Thompson.
“So sadly, a decision has to be made for redundancy, as we have been paying them for several months and now faced with many unforeseen delays and expenses. We hope those affected will understand the situation and we wish them well in their future endeavours.”
The Chinese Government believes in the investment climate and willing to assist the Sierra Leone Government through their longstanding relationship, which could be seen during this challenging period. In the quest to ensure a healthy business environment in the country, the hotel management has been rendering assistance whenever it is called upon to do so.
“Recently through our parent body ‘Beijing Urban Construction Group’ in China, the hotel management donated the sum of Le100 million towards the fight against the deadly Ebola virus. The donation was presented to the Ministry of Health and Sanitation. Le10 million was also presented to the Tourism Ministry in line with the National Tourist Board, previously the Disaster Management,” she said.
“We wish to assure and sincerely thank all our numerous patronages that we are doing all our best to ensure their historic Bintumani Hotel soon return to business.”