Socialize

Some Ebola cases not from Western Rural

…says District Coordinator

January 14, 2015 By Regina Pratt

Western Rural District Coordinator of the National Ebola Response Center (NERC), Ms. Zuliakatu Cooper, has claimed that some of the Ebola cases reported in her district are from other districts.

She was speaking to journalists Tuesday (13 January) at the Miatta conference hall, Youyi building, while giving an update on the first phase of Operation Western Area Surge – which instructed strict rules and restricted movement, trading and worship during the festive season last year. It has since been extended for two more weeks.

Ms. Cooper said the Western Rural reported 10 cases on 10 January, but their intelligence revealed the individuals had actually travelled from Mamamah in the Port Loko district.

She called on residents to report all new cases as any mistake can lead to death of family members and relatives.

She urged for a vigilant neighbourhood watch, and noted that phase two of the Western Area Surge – 17 to 28 January – will cause a lot of inconvenience to residents but “that is the sacrifice we all have to make to end the outbreak”.

Cooper revealed that Waterloo has reduced the number of hotspots from 32 to 2, and now reporting single digit cases due to the commitment of the task force and coordinators.

She commended efforts by the international community, including UK AID, Save the Children, Concern Worldwide, Plan International, WFP, UNFPA, Christian Aid, Salvation Army, WHO, MSF and local partners, Women Rise Against Ebola.