Joint Statement of the Coordinators’ Meeting on the Implementation of the Follow-up Actions of the Beijing Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC)
(Beijing, 25 June 2019)
To jointly advance the implementation of the follow-up actions of the FOCAC Beijing Summit, Coordinators from the People’s Republic of China, 53 African countries and the African Union Commission held a meeting of Coordinators in Beijing on 25 June 2019.
Both sides applauded the great success and the far-reaching historical significance of the FOCAC Beijing Summit convened from 3 to 4 September 2018. Both sides highly commended China’s policy toward Africa and new measures for China-Africa cooperation underpinned by the eight major initiatives and associated financing totaling US$60 billion,articulated by President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China at the Summit, and measures manifested in the FOCAC Beijing Action Plan (2019-2021). Both sides decided to work together on the follow-up actions of the Summit under the principles embodied in the Beijing Declaration, engage in Belt and Road cooperation, deepen and elevate China-Africa cooperation, and work toward an even stronger China-Africa community with a shared future. The two sides have agreed on the following:
- Both sides commend the initiative by China and Senegal, co-chairs of the FOCAC, to hold this Coordinators’ Meeting and reaffirm the commitment of China and Africa to implementing the follow-up actions of the Beijing Summit, to seeking greater complementarity between China-Africa Belt and Road cooperation and Agenda 2063 of the African Union (AU), the development strategies of African countries and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development of the United Nations. Together, the two sides will work toward a China-Africa community with a shared future that features joint responsibility, win-win cooperation, happiness for all, common cultural prosperity, common security, and harmonious co-existence.
- Both sides welcome important cooperation outcomes and early harvests achieved by the two sides following the FOCAC Beijing Summit. Both sides express their readiness to step up cooperation in such areas as infrastructure development, industry partnering, and trade and investment, to tap into their cooperation potential in green development, capacity building, health, people-to-people exchanges, and peace and security, and to improve the structure of cooperation for the greater benefit of both peoples.
- Noting the profound changes in the global landscape and the complex external environment facing China-Africa relations, the two sides commit themselves to multilateralism and free trade, opposing protectionism and unilateralism, safeguarding the UN-centered international system, and working together toward a community with a shared future for mankind, thus making greater contribution to world peace and development.
- The African side congratulates China on the successful hosting of the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation, and speaks highly of President Xi’s emphasis on promoting high-quality Belt and Road cooperation under the principle of extensive consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits and that of open, green and clean cooperation to foster a global partnership of connectivity with high-standard, people-centered and sustainable cooperation, as such cooperation has provided more opportunities for Africa to engage in international cooperation and improve people’s lives. China welcomes Africa’s active participation in Belt and Road cooperation which will lend fresh impetus to win-win cooperation and common development of China and Africa.
- China commends, respects and supports Africa for progress made in the implementation of Agenda 2063 key flagship Projects, in particular the entry into force of the African Continental Free Trade Area, which marks a historical milestone on the path to Africa’s regional integration imperative.
- The African side commends China’s commitment to the principle of sincerity, real results, affinity and good faith and that of pursuing the greater good and shared interests in its cooperation with African countries, believing that the four-point commitment and the “five-no” approach put forward by China at the FOCAC Beijing Summit speak volumes about the defining features of China-Africa relations, i.e. solidarity and cooperation, and point out a right path for international cooperation with Africa. The Chinese side commends African commitment to continuing to foster a closer relationship based on mutual trust and win-win cooperation. Acting on the above-mentioned principles and approaches, and with a commitment to common, efficient, green, safe and open development, the two sides will strengthen their strategic guidance and deepen the coordination of policies, mechanisms, and their cooperation:
– The two sides will be guided by the strategic vision of building an even stronger China-Africa community with a shared future. The two sides will fully implement the strategic common understandings reached between Chinese and African leaders during the Beijing Summit, maintain the momentum of high-level exchanges, and enhance strategic communication and experience-sharing on governance, with a view to elevating China-Africa comprehensive strategic and cooperative partnership.
– The two sides will strengthen coordination on policies and mechanisms at the bilateral and multilateral levels. To deliver the follow-up actions of the Beijing Summit, the two sides will further improve policy measures, formulate and advance national plans, and provide policy support for the eight major initiatives and the FOCAC Beijing Action Plan (2019-2021). Both sides will enhance the institution building of FOCAC, continue to make good use of the Chinese Follow-up Committee of FOCAC, and welcome the establishment and improvement of follow-up implementation mechanisms on the African side in the next few years. Together, the two sides will ensure efficient, results-oriented and smooth implementation of the follow-up actions of the Beijing Summit.
– The two sides will work for greater synergies in market development, project cooperation and intellectual support. China and Africa will seek greater complementarity among their strengths in finance, technology, equipment, production capacity, human resources, market potential, energy, and natural resources. China will continue to support Africa in building free trade zones, special economic zones and industrial parks, provide assistance in the areas of trade, industrialization, SMEs development, entrepreneurship development, and high-quality data of the digital age, encourage competent and well-qualified Chinese companies to invest in Africa, strengthening partnerships through joint-ventures and cooperation with African private sector, and welcome African companies to invest in China. Both sides will encourage their companies to strengthen project cooperation in accordance with market principles, in pursuit of economic and social benefits, in line with the actual capacity of African countries, and based on clearly-defined responsibilities. Both sides will further promote the exchanges between Governments, legislatures, political parties, young people, women, think tanks and NGOs in order to foster a good environment for China-Africa friendship and cooperation. The Chinese side is ready to increase technological transfer and training, encourage innovation cooperation and regional value chains development, support African countries in cultivating more technical, industrial and management professionals, and promote people-centered and sustainable partnership between China and Africa. Both sides will take the particularity and vulnerability of Small Island Developing States into consideration while implement the outcomes of FOCAC Beijing Summit.
- The two sides share the view that China-Africa friendship is built on a solid foundation and growing from strength to strength, that China-Africa cooperation is results-oriented, efficient and fruitful, that FOCAC is running well and setting the pace for international cooperation with Africa, and that nothing could stop the pursuit for win-win cooperation and common development by China and Africa or undermine their determination to stay united in their cooperation.
- Both sides welcome continued contribution by the international community to African-led efforts in promoting peace and development in Africa through bilateral, trilateral or multilateral cooperation leveraging the strengths of relevant stakeholders on the basis of equality, mutual benefit and mutual respect.
- The African side expresses its appreciation to relevant Chinese authorities for successfully organizing this pragmatic and fruitful Coordinators’ Meeting.