- says NERC boss
April 23, 2015 By Victoria Saffa
Chief Executive Officer of the National Ebola Response Center (NERC) yesterday disclosed that all of the Ebola confirmed cases in the Western Area since last week are from Moa Wharf, a densely populated slum community in the east of Freetown.
Retired Major Alfred Palo Conteh told a presser in Freetown that cases from Moa Wharf emanated from someone who fell ill and the community decided to care for that person instead of calling the 117 line, thus infecting more members of the community, with some already dead.
“We have all heard of the recent EVD outbreak in Moa Wharf, where a few members of the community decided to do all the things we have been preaching to communities not to do,” said Conteh.
He spoke about a positive case in the Koinadugu district after the northern district went for 36 days without recording new infection, and revealed that NERC was still investigating the case.
Retired Major Conteh maintained that the only way the country can get to zero Ebola cases was by everyone doing the right thing – reporting the sick, helping surveillance teams and contact tracers, and bodies being buried by the proper teams.
He added: “Yes there remains work to be done and we can always make improvements. But I am pleased that we have been able to take this major step for our nation and its children. I have always stated that schools will reopen when it is safe to do so, and the continuing safety of schools is essential if they are to remain open.”
According to the NERC boss, pushing cases to other districts increases the risk of transmission and wastes critical time when the patients should be at treatment centres in their district of origin, and added that they were in no mood to tolerate awkward or controversial issues, apparently in reference to the false confirmed case reported in Kailahun few weeks ago.